Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Railway Graffiti

It is the signature of a brave culture, the art of lurking in dark alleyways. An illegal art, where practicing to perfection is against the law. Defacement of property. And yet, it is beautiful. Beautifully vibrant, challenging viewers in its glorious array of brilliant colors. It fears none.

Rows of graffiti- practicing grounds along the railway track? I dream of being able to take only a camera and myself, hop the fence, and document every piece of railway graffiti. It is beautiful, both astonishing and heart wrenching to pass. It heartens me to know that such art is more than possible or probably; it is. And yet it tears me apart to know that it is just out of reach, my forbidden fruit of paradise. I wish I was brave enough to learn my own graffiti in the midst of the night, but I lack the courage even to climb a low fence and photograph to my heart's content. For now, I can only dream, and practice my sharpie graffiti.

No comments: